BITUD was established to strengthen the links between the Histadrut (the Israeli TUC), the Palestinian
General Federation of Trade Unions (PGFTU) and the British Trade Union Movement.
BITUD aims to:
- build support for the Middle East peace process in the UK labour movement;
- promote efforts towards finding a just and lasting peace settlement for both Israelis and Palestinians;
- initiate dialogue by taking British delegations to meet with both Israeli and Palestinian trade unionists;
- build support for the Peace Process in the UK by providing meetings and briefings for British Trade Unionists.
- engage trade unionists on a variety of issues beyond the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and aim to provide practical assistance that helps Israeli
and Palestinian workers.
BITUD'S activities aim to build on understanding of:
- The ongoing Middle East Peace Process
- The strong democratic trade union movement in Israel
- The crucial need for Israeli-Palestinian economic ties for workers on both sides
- The wider region, including the Arab Peace Initiative
- The PGFTU/Histadrut agreement and work that the Histadrut does for Palestinian workers
- The negative impact that a boycott would have on Israeli and Palestinian workers.